Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pilot Season wants your vote!

So yeah, I posted a while ago about the Legion of Superhero elections and hopefully a few of you went out and voted. And now I’m here to bring you another vote that wants your input.

Each year Top Cow runs a competition called Pilot Season. A crop of books are released and the readers vote for which one they most want to continue. More than one can end up winning in the end, but the first place winner is guaranteed to continue as either an ongoing or a miniseries. I’m still really pissed that I am still waiting on the last issue of the 2009 competition to ship (seriously, what the hell!) but the 2010 season came out on time and helped to quell some of my anger (but only some).

So here are the important things. Voting goes through November 30th, so you’ve only got a few days left to go and vote (sorry, I’m a bit slow lately). Also, I’ve only read 2 of the 5 titles so far, so I can’t give you a recommendation yet. Fortunately, you don’t need me to tell you what to think because you can read all five comics for FREE online at Newsarama. See, you don’t even need to spend any money! You get five first issues for free! I’m a little ticked off about that, because I did pay for them and now I kinda feel like I shouldn’t have bothered, but my loss is your gain.

So go ahead and read the books, pick your favorite and cast your vote! Once I read the other three this weekend I will update this post with my thoughts. I’d love to know what you think of the books, too! Which title gets your vote?


UPDATE: Okay, now that I've read all the books I have to make my choice.  I didn't think that any of the titles were bad, but the two that grabbed me the most were Forever and 7 Days from Hell.  Both had great set ups and I'd like to know more about what happens to the characters.  Just on reading the descriptions of the series my gut was for Forever as I like long form mysteries, but I don't feel like the issue was quite enough of a hook for such a strong premise.  My concern with 7 Days from Hell is that the very basic premise is going to get a bit monotonous after a while.  Granted, its up to the writer to be sure that doesn't happen, but the premise itself dictates that we're going to have a guy killing someone every week.  And he can't fail or the series ends so they are going to have to find other ways to keep the story fresh and exciting.  But even with all those problems, I think 7 Days from Hell is going to get my vote.  I was skeptical when I saw so many people recommending this one, as its one of the ones that didn't really hook me with its premise.  But the end product was really enjoyable and they put a lot out there in this first issue.

So that's my thought.  What about you?

UPDATE PART 2:  Well, I'm upset.  Despite being told that voting would go until November 30th, I have just gone to the poll site on the 29th (in America its still the 28th) only to be told that the poll is closed.  What the heck!  I know I was cutting it kind of close, but I still expected to be able to vote.  I'm pretty disappointed and more than a little angry.

UPDATE PART 3: Okay, so we can still vote!  Got to the Top Cow website and scroll down to the bottom of the page to cast your vote!  You have until December 8th.

2 comments:

  1. Extended voting crashed the site. It's now being extended until Dec. 8.

    ReplyDelete