Monday, November 1, 2010

Pull List Maintenance – Usagi Yojimbo

In November I will be adding Usagi Yojimbo to my pull list…but only for two issues. When I was browsing the November solicits this story really caugh my eye. Usagi Yojimbo is the story of a rabbit samurai in feudal Japan who wanders about helping those in need. This two part story is about a giant taiko drum a group of villagers built to end a drought and another group threatening to destroy it.  Our hero must come to the rescue. I’m a big fan of Japan obviously, and I really like taiko drums. I like watching taiko performances, and I like playing Taiko no Tatsujin.

So I went ahead and ordered both issues of the story arc. But I don’t plan to continue on with the series in monthly issues. Usagi Yojimbo is one of those titles I’ve been interested in checking out (it really looks like a title I should love), but really didn’t want to jump into the middle of since it has so much history (coming up on 200 issues). This story line was an exception because it really grabbed my interest, but I think this is a series that I will have to pick up in trade format. I recently discovered that the first bunch of issues are being recollected in a special gigantic volume (1200 pages!). This seems like a good (though expensive) chance to jump on board and give it a shot.

I’m curious if anyone who reads this blog has read Usagi Yojimbo and what they think about it. If so please let me know your thoughts. I’ll be sure to give my impressions of the issues I am picking up after I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment